****ATTENTION QUERYING WRITERS/ILLUSTRATORS: Starting 9/24/17, I will be on a temporary submission hiatus. Any queries sent after this date will be deleted unread, with the exception of previously-requested materials. I'll re-open to queries again soon.****
1. To submit a project, please email your query to mollysubmit (@) waxmanleavell.com. (See more about the kinds of projects I represent.) NOTE: In order to receive an auto-reply confirming that your submission was received, you MUST put "Query" and the title of your project in the subject line.
2. Your short email query should include: a description of your project; biographical information (including details about any relevant credentials, subject area expertise, stats, or existing platform); and a summary, if applicable, of prior published works, agent representation, and/or publisher submission history. If you don't have special credentials or previous publishing history, no worries: I welcome debut talent! Please also be sure to include your phone number, email address, and any relevant internet/social media links.
3. If we've met in person or communicated online, or you are querying because of a referral, please detail that connection in your query letter.
4. Along with your query letter, please also include the following:
- Fiction Writers (MG, YA, or chapter book/early readers): the first 10 pages of your manuscript pasted in the body of the email, below your query letter. A synopsis (approx 1-2 pages) may also be included by pasting it below your query and sample pages. A synopsis is not required, but it is extremely helpful. NO ATTACHMENTS.
- Author/Illustrators: full book dummy, including text, in pdf format (a hybrid of black/white sketches and full-color samples is fine), and a link to your online portfolio.
- Picture book writers: Sorry, I am NOT currently seeking picture books texts, unless you are also an illustrator. (Follow my blog for occasion calls for picture book manuscripts.)
- Illustrators: 2-3 illustration samples (in jpeg format), and/or a link to your online portfolio.
- Non-fiction Writers: proposal and a sample chapter pasted below query. NO ATTACHMENTS.
WHAT TO EXPECT POST-SUBMISSION:
I personally read and consider every query that is submitted to me. If interested in seeing further material, I will be in touch via phone and/or email. (If you receive another offer of representation during this time frame, please send an alert/update.) However, because of the high volume of submissions received, I am unable to respond personally to every query. If more than 8 weeks have passed since your submission without direct contact, you may assume that I have passed on your submission. While I wish I could offer a more personal response, please know that I hold you and your creative efforts in highest regard. You can also check my blog for updates about queries, where I'll post semi-regular alerts to let you know if, based on the date of your query, your manuscript is still under consideration.
WHAT TO EXPECT IF I'VE REQUESTED A FULL MANUSCRIPT:
My current response time on fulls runs approximately 12 weeks (and occasionally longer). Although I do not respond to queries unless interested, my policy is to always respond to those projects for which I have requested a full manuscript, so you will hear from me in due course. However, if you should receive an offer of representation from another agent during this time, I hope you'll send me an alert. Thanks in advance for your patience while I read.